Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Got My Punch Front!

I had a great night at gymnastics last night. I started off conditioning on bars. I practiced my glides for a while, then I did hanging L-holds, negative pull-ups until my arms gave out, (2.5) hanging leg lifts, and tap swings until I started to rip. That was pretty much it on bars for the night, which is okay. Just getting my strength up will probably make more of a difference than lots of skill repetitions at this point.

My cartwheels on beam were solid. I need to practice handstands more often--on beam and off. Hanging around upside down is fun, and repetition works best for some things.

There were a lot of people there last night. Often, there are only two or three people there for adult gym, so I can bug the coaches and get lots of spotting. When twenty people show up, I'm on my own. That meant no vaulting, because I'm too much of a wimp to vault over the table without a spot still, and extra floor.

I did front handsprings to warm up and round-off back handsprings into the resi-pit. I have solid ROBHS (I can connect them up onto an eight inch mat), but I've developed a fear of backwards tumbling on floor. Any advice on getting over that is welcome. I mixed in some aerials with the ROBHSs and landed most of them. Then I decided to try a punch front (basically, run and do a front flip) onto the mat in the resi-pit. First time, I landed on my butt.

I expected that.

Second one, I nailed. Same with the third. The forth time, I tried pointing my toes and fell again. Fifth time, front tuck with pointed toes, and that stayed consistent for the rest of the night. Getting a new skill--especially a flight skill--is the most awesome feeling in the world. I also had my side splits both down to less than an inch off the ground.

Who says exercise is boring?

1 comment:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, you're right, that doesn't sound boring at all! My workouts are much more sedate.