Friday, January 29, 2010

Positive Gym News

I checked out the kids open gym tonight. In many ways, it's disciplined by the adult open gym, and the nine-year-old level fours and fives were offering me lots of advice and conditioning tips, which was pretty awesome. I'm going to try their push-up/crunch ideas when my arms aren't rubbery. I did a lot bar work and conditioning--negative pull ups, dips, and lots and lots of casting. My shoulders are going to hurt tomorrow.

I made a lot of progress on my squat-ons, had a great string of cartwheels on beam, some decent front tucks, and a lot of good round-off back handsprings into the resi pit. At the end of open gym, I had one of the coaches spot me on floor. She gave me a light spot the first time, and then at my request just stood nearby for the second set. I did it, no mats and no spot. From here, I think I'm going to work with having the coach standing just a bit farther away each time until I get some more confidence. She also gave me some shoulder stretches--my shoulder flexibility isn't very good, and it's probably part of why I'm so nervous on back handsprings. I really depend on sheer power and on my back flexibility, and that's not a good thing.

But I did it by myself. No mats. No spot. There's nowhere to go but up!

No comments: