Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolution

I'm not really one for New Year's Resolutions. Sometimes I'll make them, but I usually forget them within a week. These aren't really New Year's Resolutions; they're goals that I've had for a while, very generally. But we all know that general goals just floating around in your mind are not goals that are likely to be met. So here are my fitness goals, laid out and measurable.

First, I need to work on being more consistent about my exercise. Therefore, my goals are:

Cardio 4x a week, 30-60 minutes, every week
Strength training 3x a week, every week

I don't have any specific cardio goals, I just want to keep moving. I do have specific strength goals:

20 handstand push-ups
10 hanging leg lifts with good form
Be able to do a pull up

I'm most excited about finally being able to do a pull up. For whatever reason, this particular skill has always eluded me, and I really want to get it. And I have motivation to get my strength up, because I need it to meet my gymnastics goals.

Floor: Round off-back handspring-back handspring-back handspring; RO-BHS-Back tuck onto mat in the resi pit; punch front onto mat in the resi pit; front walkover
Beam: Consistent handstands, back walkover, round off
Vault: Strong front handspring vault
Bars: Squat on jump to high bar, glide kip (maybe, hopefully...)

I'm not starting from ground zero with these, but it'll be a lot of work and means I have to make good use of my very limited practice time. My goals for ballet are a little more form orientated:

Ballet: Improve turnout by 20 degrees, free hold leg at 135 degrees, hit full split on leaps, remember combinations the first time through

Last, but not least, flexibility. Like strength, I'm going to need it to make my skill goals.

Flexibility: Square hips in 10 degree oversplits, enough shoulder flexibility to keep my arms in line with my body on back walkovers

No comments: